Thursday, September 13, 2012

Communicating IT's Importance

“You do realize that you are getting out of the field of technology” my friend warned me while calling out to the waiter inadvertently concluding my farewell party. “Yes, I know.” “And you know that it is technology that has penetrated everywhere and will keep penetrating until humans are replaced with machines everywhere.” “Yeah, I am pretty much aware of the flow.” “So you are keen to get out of the most promising field to enter into something like ‘Communications Skills’? Don’t you think that technology someday will replace the need for communication skills?” Sensing the sarcasm in his tone I decided to take the baton in my hand.

“Didn’t you just wave to the waiter before we started on this topic?”

“Yes”

“Isn’t that a form of communication, requesting him to come here?”

“Hmmm”

“Then you will hand over your credit card to him that would communicate that it’s not me but some bank which is going to pay you.”

“Yes”

“Then as the waiter swipes your card, he is communicating to the bank about your expense at his restaurant. Later the bank communicates him back assuring your validity.”

“Yes, but what’s the point?”

“The point is, that every single transaction that we do in this universe is nothing but some or the other form of communication. Our world is filled with the need to communicate.”

“How is it relevant in my world?”

“Programmers learn JAVA – which is essentially a language to communicate to the machine. This program later sends XML to some other application sitting is some other country which is another form of communication. Every single click that we make over the internet is a form of communication to the World Wide Web. When we handover a cheque to the bank, we are communicating that some person owes me money from you. When the movie hall counter gives us ticket, it is a form of communication for the ticket collector to permit our entry in the hall. The teacher signing a report card communicates a student’s performance to his/her parents. When we pray, we communicate to the divine. We communicate in words, in gestures, in every single transaction and we communicate in our silence. Our world is crammed with communication my friend. How can the need to improve in communication ever run out?”

“I see your point.”

“I am pretty sure that our world will have increased dependency over technology. But the sole purpose for that to build, is some or the other form of communication.”

The waiter arrived with the credit card slip that my friend signed on.

“Now here you are communicating to the bank, that ‘this is my expense and I will pay you’”

“Oh shut up now, now get over it!”

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: