Friday, March 22, 2013

How I got out of Rs 3000 fine with a warning

An example of when Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar says something he means it.
I was riding back from the spiritual fair with Sagar behind me holding my bag and my LCD TV, when a cop caught us. My bike being of Andhra Pradesh registration, it quickly caught his eye and he demanded the NOC. To ensure that we don't run away he snatched the keys from my hand. After searching a lot I could produce a receipt that Hyderabad RTO gave me that indicated that my NOC is in their possession. He shrugged that receipt off saying that he needs actual NOC. I saw that there was no other way than paying the 3000 Rs fine he was demanding.

Sagar behind me got into negotiations mood and his Tamil conversations convinced the cop that we are not thieves stealing the bike. After a peaceful discussion for about 10 mins I declared that I don't have enough cash for the fine.
"How much do you have? "
"1000 bucks." I was honest.
"Ok, give me. "
"With receipt or without receipt?"
"Of course without receipt."
I remembered 2 things in that moment.
1. Having taken oath that I will never bribe.
2. Guruji saying," If anybody asks for bribe, show him my photo and tell him that He is my Guru. He has told us not to give bribe."

Very politely I followed my Guru's words. Next moment he mellowed down.
"Ok so, sure that you are not thieves? "
"Absolutely! We do social work." and I showed him pics of us working on VFABI - Respect the Red Campaign.
Next moment he dropped the keys back in my hand.

Guys, whenever you come across any such situation, be patient, be calm, composed and confident. Your biggest asset is your faith in your Guru's words and your next biggest asset is your smile.
Be compassionate towards the person but do not indulge in corruption.
Times are changing and so are people who do corruption.
Let's be the wheels of change. Let's volunteer for a better India.
For Volunteer For A Better India Chennai chapter, follow @VBICHN

Jai Gurudev

1 comment:

Sagar Kalburgi said...

I still remember that day very well..